March 2017 Simple Pure Whole Favorites: Ginger, Yoga in Pregnancy, Sorrel Recipes + VIDEO
Spring is in the air here, and for me, that means it is time to start thinking green! Whether packing in the healthy green veggies in a delicious smoothie such as my Healthy Shamrock Smoothie Bowl or giving your medicine cabinet a healthy green makeover, green is a color of vitality, renewal andSpring Cleaning Your Health !
For more springtime, green inspiration, check out my favorite healthy recipes/foods/products/links/exercises/inspiration from the past month. My Favorites feature is a regular part of the Simple | Pure | WholeTMBlog allowing me to share some great healthy solutions with you each month!
And be sure to enter my GIVEAWAY before April 12th to win some gluten-free, vegan and chemical–free skincare!
I only share resources that I have personal experience with and can therefore recommend without reservation. Remember that each person is unique so check with your health care provider before making any major changes to your diet or lifestyle. This is not intended as medical advice. This post may contain affiliate links. Prices are the same for you and affiliate commission helps to support the maintenance of my blog so I can continue to bring you free, value-filled resources. Thank you for your support!
Here are some of my Simple | Pure | WholeTM Healthy Favorites for March!
Favorite Ingredient: Ginger
One of the key steps in Spring Cleaning Your Health is to reboot your pantry with healthy, nourishing options. In addition to coconut butter, turmeric, Celyon cinnamon, ginger one of my whole food pantry stables anbd also a great way to squelch inflammation and reduce pain naturally.
Ginger is best known for its ability to help qualm nausea, including that from morning sickness, chemotherapy and sea sickness. It is also a strong anti-inflammatory spice which helps prevent blood clots and slows the development of atherosclerosis. Gingerols are potent inflammation-reducing substances that support cell health and may help prevent chronic diseases like arthritis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus and even cancer. Ginger has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat colds, nausea, indigestion and digestive imbalance.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- I feature beneficial spices like cinnamon and ginger in many of my recipes (i.e. Autumn Harvest Skillet, Gluten-Free Coconut Ginger Granola Bars) support and strengthen the respiratory and digestive tracts. Baking with these spices, along with nutmeg and cloves, and incorporating them in smoothies, soups and teas are nice ways to enjoy their warming flavors while reaping health benefits.
- A perfect way to enjoy the benefits and flavor of ginger is in my Perk-Up Ginger Smoothie. This quick, vegan, gluten-free, paleo treat is the perfect start for your morning or to help you push through the afternoon slump with free-radical busting power, natural nutrition and no added sugar!
- Make fresh ginger tea by grating raw organic ginger and seeping it in hot water.
- Sprinkle ground ginger over root vegetables before roasting
Favorite Inspirational Article: Yoga during pregnancy: The effects on labor pain and delivery outcomes (A randomized controlled trial)
One blog post from March which stirred up a lot of discussion was my post on An Integrative Approach to Pain. Emerging guidelines strongly encourage clinicians to utilize non-drug therapies such as superficial heat, massage, yoga, acupuncture, spinal manipulation and other mind-body therapies as first-line approaches to addressing pain.
Childbirth can be one of the most stressful conditions for many women. Labor pain and discomfort are significant challenges which can be addressed with various techniques. Many women desire natural solutions which can be effective in decreasing pain during labor.
This randomized controlled trial found that yoga during pregnancy may contribute to a reduction pain of labor and improved adequacy of childbirth. The researchers found that “as a result of well-toned muscles by performing yoga during pregnancy, women have more energy and are more relaxed  which can impact delivery outcomes. In addition, Yoga may lead to an increase in strengthening and flexibility of the perineum and vaginal muscles as well as and sphincter and urinary tract which may facilitate labor and delivery.”
Simple Pure Whole Solutions:
Fresh spring greens are starting to pop up at my local farmer’s market, and I could not be more excited! One of my favorite greens is sorrel. Sorrel is a perennial herb in the family Polygonaceae which is also known as spinach dock and narrow-leaved dock.
While it may appear like dandelion greens or a mild spinach, your tastebuds will be pleasantly surprised. Sorrel is a very tangy, acidic herb whose sour taste comes from oxalic acid. It’s fresh lemony flavor and tart tang makes it unique and the perfect addition to a light springy salad.
Look for sorrel at your local farmer’s market. Sorrel starts showing up in the spring and gets progressively more bitter as the year progresses. It is also easy to grow yourself. Sorrel is a fast-growing perennial and winter-resistant, so it makes the perfect addition to your home garden.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- Try my Healthy Shamrock Smoothie Bowl as a creamy, satisfying way to enjoy sorrel anytime of year!
- Chop up some sorrel leaves and add them to a fresh spring salad for some lemony zing
- Pick up a bunch of fresh sorrel at the farmer’s market and try it out in some of these lovely spring recipes from The Kitchn
This Month’s Favorite Quote:
“All pain is a mind-body experience. Pain is a combination of the physical sensations we feel, the emotions we feel, and the meaning the pain has for us, and therefore the most effective approaches to deal with pain are generally multifactorial and holistic.”
March’s Features from The Simple | Pure | WholeTM Blog:
What is your favorite way to enjoy ginger?
Have you tried sorrel?
Please let me know in the comments below or on Facebook or Instagram if you have tried any of these or if you find something new you love so I can check it out!
If you enjoyed these healthy tips, I welcome you to join my free Insider’s Community for special offers, members-only opportunities, wellness news, recipes and more!
Your Simple Pure Whole Wellness Plan!
- The Whole Cure Lifestyle Transformation Mindset Module one of my most popular online group coaching programs for lasting transformation and meaningful stress management that can shift your entire life! This next group online program is done from the comfort of your home anywhere in the world! Commit to yourself now!
- Since inflammation plays such an important role in so many chronic issues and Spring is the perfect time to cleanse and start anew, I am offering a new, affordable, to-the-point program to help you find balance, heal chronic illness, get to a healthy weight and revitalize! The Simple | Pure | Whole Laser Reset Cleanse will jumpstart the transformation of your lifestyle, diet and body to leave you feeling better than you have in years! Enroll now
Glorious Greens for Great Health Virtual Workshop and Cookbook: This virtual workshop will introduce you to the facts and science about leafy green vegetables and provide simple and nutritious recipe ideas to help you easily incorporate these nutritional powerhouses into your diet. You will discover vibrant health through knowledge and flavorful real food recipes!
Breathe: Guided Relaxation & Breathing Exercises to Help You Find Your Whole Cure is now available! This special resource will support you in bringing The Whole Cure to life! The individually-available breathing exercises and guided relaxation experiences (starting at $0.99!) can be used anywhere, at any time of day. Try using them when you feel panic, stress, anxiety or just want a few moments of calm in your day. They are also helpful for coping with pain and helping the body prepare for rest and relaxation.
- 3-Month Simple | Pure | WholeTM Wellness Solution Essential Lifestyle Coaching Program! Get personalized one-on-one attention and transformational coaching to address your physical and emotional body, lifestyle and habits with customized virtual transformational wellness coaching!
- The Whole Cure: 52 Essential Prescriptions for Overcoming Overwhelm, Reclaiming Balance and Reconnecting with a Life You Love! Commit to yourself with 52 simple yet profound stress management techniques that you can work on throughout the year to change your mindset and find greater peace, calm and balance!
Medical Disclaimer: Information provided in this post and related resources is for informational purposes only. Jennifer Weinberg is not providing medical advice, diagnosis or treatment information. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. Every body is unique so be sure to check with your health care professional before making any dietary or lifestyle changes taking any medication or nutritional supplement or using any treatment for a health issue. Do not use this information provided for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. If you suspect you have a medical problem please contact your healthcare provider promptly and do not disregard professional medical advice based on anything on this website. This website and related resources are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease and do not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and Jennifer Weinberg. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. I never, ever endorse a product or service that I would not purchase myself. I only share resources that I have personal experience with and can therefore recommend without reservation. Affiliate commission helps to support the maintenance of my blog so I can continue to bring you free, value-filled resources. Thank you for your support!
This post was shared with: Healthy, Happy, Green & Natur