September 2017 Simple Pure Whole Favorites: Ceylon Cinnamon, Mindful Moments & Sweet Potatoes!
Find more of my favorite ways to stay healthy and delicious vegan gluten-free recipes on my YouTube channel!
This month I have been enjoying the shift of the seasons, as summer begins to transition to fall. Here is some of my favorite healthy inspiration from the past month.
This post is NOT sponsored but may contain affiliate links for products that I use myself and frequently recommend to my clients. These products and the information provided should not be considered medical advice. Amazon and other merchants offer a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
Here are some of my Simple | Pure | WholeTM Healthy Favorites for September!
Favorite Ingredient: Ceylon Cinnamon
The most commonly available “cinnamon” is of two types: Ceylon or true cinnamon and Cassia (Chinese) cinnamon. I always choose true Ceylon cinnamon due to its superior flavor and health benefits.
Cassia or Chinese cinnamon comes from the Cinnamomum cassia tree, also known as Cinnamomum aromaticum. Cassia cinnamon tends to be darker brown-red in color with thicker sticks, a rougher texture and a stronger spicier flavor compared to Ceylon cinnamon. It also contains much higher levels of coumarin, an anti-coagulant substance that can thin the blood when consumed in higher doses, although some studies suggest that Cassia may have greater glycemic benefits.
Ceylon or true cinnamon is made from the inner bark of the Cinnamomum verum tree. It has a lighter tan-brown color and tight sticks with soft layers. The flavor of Ceylon cinnamon tends to be milder and more delicately sweet, making it perfect for sweet dishes and desserts.
Research shows that both types of cinnamon may reduce blood sugar spikes, increase insulin sensitivity and improve metabolic markers associated with insulin resistance. In fact, cinnamon has been shown to lower fasting blood sugars by 10-29%by slowing the breakdown of carbohydrates in the digestive tract and improving insulin sensitivity. It has also been shown to help decrease blood pressure and reduce triglyceride levels to protect heart health.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- Enjoy cinnamon in sweet recipes like my Gluten-Free Coconut Ginger Granola Bars, Blueberry Pecan Coconut Granola and Natural Gluten-Free Vegan Energy Bars.
- You can also enjoy the flavor of cinnamon in more savory dishes like my Coconut Cinnamon Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Autumn Harvest Skillet.
- Cinnamon can also benefit the skin by helping to reduce inflammation. Try adding 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to my Homemade Hydrating Pumpkin Face Mask to reduce bacteria, redness and inflammation.
Favorite Inspirational Article: This school replaced detention with meditation. The results are stunning.
This month I shared an article that explores a concept which is foundational to the Simple Pure Whole Wellness Method—the mind-body connection. Science shows that the beliefs you hold about yourself and the world, emotions, memories, and habits all influence mental and physical health.
We know that emotions like anger, fear, guilt, anxiety, sadness, resentment, jealousy, depression and stress can manifest within the body and contribute to imbalance and disease. Stuck or repressed emotions appear to be especially harmful to physical health. Over time, this can affect metabolism, impact gene expression, suppress the immune system and contribute to the development of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
To avoid the buildup of toxic emotions, you need to remain present and aware. Paying attention allows you to identify emotions as they arise, process them, and choose how you react. Meditation is one valuable mind-body practice for becoming more present and centering the mind. A regular meditation practice is a particularly effective way to help the body modulate emotional responses and the accompanying neurochemical patterns that can otherwise flood the body with harmful stress hormones.
This is why I love the approach of providing kids with the option to meditate in a “Mindful Moment Room” instead of sending them to detention. In this Baltimore school, misbehaving kids are encouraged to sit and use breathing exercises or meditation to help them calm down and re-center. They are also asked to talk through what happened.
The effects are impressive with improved attendance rates and decreased suspensions. The children are also becoming empowered with lifelong skills for living a more mindful and centered life!
Simple Pure Whole Solutions:
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods that are packed with nutrition and health benefits but also so flavorful and delicious they taste like dessert! The natural sweetness lends in sweet potatoes lends itself to a wide variety of both sweet and savory recipes–everything from pancakes and muffins to french fries can get a flavor and nutrition upgrade by the addition of sweet potato!
These root veggies most commonly sport orange flesh but are also available in purple flesh varieties. This rich color comes from plant-pigments including carotenoids and anthocyanins. These act as antioxidants and are anti-inflammatory. For example, the consumption of sweet potatoes or their color-containing extracts has been shown to reduce the activation of inflammatory molecules like nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2).
Sweet potatoes are also an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) and a good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- Add some healthy fats to your sweet potato to increase the uptake of beta-carotene. For example, top your mashed sweet potatoes with a tablespoon of coconut oil, coconut butter or olive oil or top your baked sweet potatoes with a dollop of tahini.
- When shopping at your farmer’s market this fall, select smaller or medium-sized sweet potatoes. Larger potatoes are generally older and may have lost some of their nutrients and flavor.
- Enjoy sweet potatoes as Sweet and Savory Coconut Cinnamon Oven-Baked Fries and my Harvest Skillet which is perfect for breakfast, brunch or as a side dish.
This Month’s Favorite Quotes:
September’s Features from The Simple | Pure | WholeTM Blog:
What is your favorite way to enjoy sweet potatoes?
Have you tried Ceylon cinnamon for health or beauty?
Please let me know in the comments below or on Facebook or Instagram if you have tried any of these or if you find something new you love so I can check it out!
If you enjoyed these healthy tips, I welcome you to join my free Insider’s Community for special offers, members-only opportunities, wellness news, recipes and more!
Your Simple Pure Whole Wellness Plan!
- The Whole Cure Lifestyle Transformation Mindset Module one of my most popular online group coaching programs for lasting transformation and meaningful stress management that can shift your entire life! This next group online program is done from the comfort of your home anywhere in the world! Commit to yourself now!
- Glorious Greens for Great Health Virtual Workshop and Cookbook: This virtual workshop will introduce you to the facts and science about leafy green vegetables and provide simple and nutritious recipe ideas to help you easily incorporate these nutritional powerhouses into your diet. You will discover vibrant health through knowledge and flavorful real food recipes!
Breathe: Guided Relaxation & Breathing Exercises to Help You Find Your Whole Cure is now available! This special resource will support you in bringing The Whole Cure to life! The individually-available breathing exercises and guided relaxation experiences (starting at $0.99!) can be used anywhere, at any time of day. Try using them when you feel panic, stress, anxiety or just want a few moments of calm in your day. They are also helpful for coping with pain and helping the body prepare for rest and relaxation.
- The Whole Cure: 52 Essential Prescriptions for Overcoming Overwhelm, Reclaiming Balance and Reconnecting with a Life You Love! Commit to yourself with 52 simple yet profound stress management techniques that you can work on throughout the year to change your mindset and find greater peace, calm and balance!
Medical Disclaimer: Information provided in this post and related resources is for informational purposes only. Jennifer Weinberg is not providing medical advice, diagnosis or treatment information. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. Every body is unique so be sure to check with your health care professional before making any dietary or lifestyle changes taking any medication or nutritional supplement or using any treatment for a health issue. Do not use this information provided for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. If you suspect you have a medical problem please contact your healthcare provider promptly and do not disregard professional medical advice based on anything on this website. This website and related resources are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease and do not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and Jennifer Weinberg. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. I never, ever endorse a product or service that I would not purchase myself. I only share resources that I have personal experience with and can therefore recommend without reservation. Affiliate commission helps to support the maintenance of my blog so I can continue to bring you free, value-filled resources. Thank you for your support!
This post was shared with: Healthy, Happy, Green & Natur