February Simple Pure Whole Favorites: Microbiome Testing, Self-Compassion & Carrots + VIDEO!
I only share resources that I have personal experience with and can therefore recommend without reservation. Remember that each person is unique so check with your health care provider before making any major changes to your diet or lifestyle. This is not intended as medical advice. This post may contain affiliate links. Prices are the same for you and affiliate commission helps to support the maintenance of my blog so I can continue to bring you free, value-filled resources. Thank you for your support!
Here are some of my Simple | Pure | WholeTM Healthy Favorites for February!
Favorite Product: Home Microbiome Testing
This month I shared an insightful look at the microbiome and how these bacteria and other microbes play essential roles in maintaining human physiology. Since these microbes influence everything from hormones to mood to metabolism to overall inflammation in the body, it is important to take care of them and encourage the proper balance of healthy bacteria.
One way to learn more about what is going on inside your body is to test your gut microflora. Like my experience with home heavy metal testing, I found home gut microbiome testing was simple and provided some useful information. I recently tried out this simple way to gain some insights into what is going on in the important community of microbes living within. After sending in a tiny simple stool sample, I received an analysis of the types of microbes found in my colon.
After sending in a tiny simple stool sample, I received an analysis of the types of microbes found in my colon. While ubiome gives you some insights into how your sample compares to those of vegans, paleo diet followers and other groups, it is helpful to work with a knowledgeable provider to interpret the list of all of the bacteria found and what percentage of the population they are.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- If you would like to learn more about your own microbiome you can order a home test kit from Ubiome here and save 15% (affiliate link)
- Include naturally fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut and kombucha to support a diverse microbiome in the gut
- Support digestion and help feed beneficial bacteria in the gut with prebiotic foods and fiber such as from artichokes, garlic, turmeric, leeks and asparagus
Favorite Inspirational Article: Self-compassion decreases acceptance of own immoral behaviors
Self-compassion is not selfish or a way of letting yourself off the hook when you did something hurtful or unethical and research is proving it!
In this recent study, researchers in China looked at how self-compassion relates to how people judge their own moral transgressions. They found that the more self-compassionate the subjects were, the less acceptable they rated the moral transgressions.
To go beyond this hypothetical scenario, the researchers conducted a second, experimental study to further investigate the connection. Participants were asked to choose between one of two tasks—an easy, fun one or a difficult, boring one—after being told the other task would be assigned to an unknown fellow participant. Those who chose the easier task for themselves were then selected to continue with the study.
Again, self-compassion seemed to increase rather than decrease people’s willingness to take responsibility for misbehavior. They reported that “…higher self-compassionate people endorse harsher moral judgment of themselves and accept their own moral violations less.”
Having self-compassion doesn’t make you lazy, weak, or selfish
Past research has also found that self-compassionate people tend to have a more stable sense of self-worth, and so they feel less threatened when considering their own shortcomings. This enhanced sense of self allows them to admit more readily when they have done something wrong and to consider forgiveness.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions:
Carrots are a kitchen stable and have been cultivated for centuries. Available in hues ranging from red, yellow, white and pink to the more common orange, carrots provide a wealth of antioxidants like carotenoids.
Classically known for their eye health benefits, carrots are high in beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A, which is an essential nutrient for vision.
Carrots also contain calcium, magnesium and phosphorous which help build strong bones and a healthy nervous system. Additional research has shown that phytonutrients in carrots may play a role in preventing certain cancers, including leukemia and bladder cancer.
Simple Pure Whole Solutions
- Gently cook carrots to enhance their antioxidants.
- Make your Easter or Passover treats healthier (and more delicious!) by adding some carrots. Try these simple egg-free, nut-free, gluten-free, paleo, vegan Carrot Cak Coconut Macaroons for a quick and allergy-friendly snack with carrots!
- Enjoy the rich color and flavor of carrots in this Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Apple Soup with Turmeric
- Appreciate the simple color and flavor of carrots of any hue in this quick Braised Kale with Apples and Carrots side dish.
This Month’s Favorite Quotes:
February’s Features from The Simple | Pure | WholeTM Blog:
What is your favorite way to enjoy carrots?
Have you tested your microbiome?
Please let me know in the comments below or on Facebook or Instagram if you have tried any of these or if you find something new you love so I can check it out!
If you enjoyed these healthy tips, I welcome you to join my free Insider’s Community for special offers, members-only opportunities, wellness news, recipes and more!
Your Simple Pure Whole Wellness Plan!
- The Whole Cure Lifestyle Transformation Mindset Module one of my most popular online group coaching programs for lasting transformation and meaningful stress management that can shift your entire life! This next group online program is done from the comfort of your home anywhere in the world! Commit to yourself now!
- Since inflammation plays such an important role in so many chronic issues and Spring is the perfect time to cleanse and start anew, I am offering a new, affordable, to-the-point program to help you find balance, heal chronic illness, get to a healthy weight and revitalize! The Simple | Pure | Whole Laser Reset Cleanse will jumpstart the transformation of your lifestyle, diet and body to leave you feeling better than you have in years! Enroll now
Glorious Greens for Great Health Virtual Workshop and Cookbook: This virtual workshop will introduce you to the facts and science about leafy green vegetables and provide simple and nutritious recipe ideas to help you easily incorporate these nutritional powerhouses into your diet. You will discover vibrant health through knowledge and flavorful real food recipes!
Breathe: Guided Relaxation & Breathing Exercises to Help You Find Your Whole Cure is now available! This special resource will support you in bringing The Whole Cure to life! The individually-available breathing exercises and guided relaxation experiences (starting at $0.99!) can be used anywhere, at any time of day. Try using them when you feel panic, stress, anxiety or just want a few moments of calm in your day. They are also helpful for coping with pain and helping the body prepare for rest and relaxation.
- 3-Month Simple | Pure | WholeTM Wellness Solution Essential Lifestyle Coaching Program! Get personalized one-on-one attention and transformational coaching to address your physical and emotional body, lifestyle and habits with customized virtual transformational wellness coaching!
- The Whole Cure: 52 Essential Prescriptions for Overcoming Overwhelm, Reclaiming Balance and Reconnecting with a Life You Love! Commit to yourself with 52 simple yet profound stress management techniques that you can work on throughout the year to change your mindset and find greater peace, calm and balance!
Medical Disclaimer: Information provided in this post and related resources is for informational purposes only. Jennifer Weinberg is not providing medical advice, diagnosis or treatment information. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. Every body is unique so be sure to check with your health care professional before making any dietary or lifestyle changes taking any medication or nutritional supplement or using any treatment for a health issue. Do not use this information provided for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. If you suspect you have a medical problem please contact your healthcare provider promptly and do not disregard professional medical advice based on anything on this website. This website and related resources are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease and do not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and Jennifer Weinberg. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. I never, ever endorse a product or service that I would not purchase myself. I only share resources that I have personal experience with and can therefore recommend without reservation. Affiliate commission helps to support the maintenance of my blog so I can continue to bring you free, value-filled resources. Thank you for your support!